Thursday, October 4, 2007

Best. Day. Ever.

. . . and even THAT is an understatement.

I could not have asked for a better today.

Actually, the day started out kind of crappy. I slept in this morning, waking up ten minutes before I had to leave for my 8am class, in which we had a quiz. Suckity suck suck suck. On top of that, it was raining.

After the quiz (which didn't go horribly, but could have gone better--not that I'm concerned, since Dr. Cho told us he'd probably drop our first three grades anyway), I practiced for my 11am lesson, which went well. I did kind of have a cry, but Mr. O is so kind and so tender (a welcome change from certain cello teachers of yore), and I can tell he sincerely just wants me to be the best that I can be. We talked about things, and I realized (yet again) that I for some reason censor out the positive voices in my head and amplify the negative ones. So even when I am practicing, I don't take time to enjoy what went well, or to applaud myself for it. I am constantly in search of what's wrong. I suppose self-criticism is part of the package when you're a musician, although I think self-congratulation is also a necessary component (not that such an idea had ever occurred to me before today).

After that, I came home for lunch and the shower that I missed from sleeping in, which was good, and then headed off to the dress rehearsal for the concert tonight. I got Edgar Meyer to sign my favorite album of his. It made me happy. After that was Chamber Music departmental, which was made better by the fact that I was actually sitting next to people instead of by myself, which is typically what happens.

This is where the day turns from "good" to "indescribably fantastic." I came home for dinner--my first nutritious meal all week--and to change for the concert.

Mr. Meyer was A.MAZ.ING. I've been a HUGE fan for a long time, and it was beyond amazing to be on the same stage as him. I'm sure (and have had these suspicions confirmed) that I was beaming any time I was watching him (missing entrances left and right)--he is an utterly captivating performer, and all I could do was grin and stare in awe. He's great. Wow. And so I ran out of words. I could have died right then, and been perfectly content, but the night got even BETTER.

I feel awkward blogging about this, so I'm going to be scant with details, but the Readers' Digest version of it is this:

We're official. He's adorable. I'm . . . elated.

Yes, this has truly been a day for the books.

No comments: