Saturday, September 8, 2007

Open mouth, insert foot.

The most famed question on the list of questions not to be asked if there is any reasonable doubt is, of course, "So . . . when are you due?" Today I experienced another:

Me: "So, when are you getting married?"
The other person: We're not.
Me: (confused)
The other person: We broke up. We're not getting married.

Uhhh, and then where do you go with the conversation? I don't know. I feel bad for the awkwardness and for having put this person in such an uncomfortable situation, but at the same time, it was an innocent question--and I had no reason to suspect anything had changed since the last time I saw the two of them together (which couldn't have been very long). Nevertheless, it really kind of killed the chitchat.

So, beware. My new rule will be that I will not ask that unless the individual has referenced such him or herself in the same sitting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha. Who did you say that to?