Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bring it on, October.

October is one one of my favorite months. I like the brisk weather (although it's still pushing the 90s this week, bleh), I like the bright colors, I like wearing jackets and sweaters . . .

This week I get to play with Edgar Meyer, the world's foremost double bass virtuoso and one of my favorite musicians of all time.



I'm pretty excited about that. Tuesday evening my teacher is playing a recital. Thursday night I'll be going to hear Ralph Kirshbaum play the Elgar Cello Concerto with the Dallas Symphony, which will be tasty. I'm getting to be so musically spoiled!

Meanwhile, life just keeps on keepin' on. These days I don't really know where it's headed, but I'm enjoying the ride. I was thinking of my experience at BYU, and what it has meant in my life now that I've been out of it for five months(!). I'm really grateful for the experiences I had, both good and bad, and for what I've gained from them. It wasn't necessarily an easy journey, but I learned a lot about myself and dealing with different types of people. I made some priceless friendships and some arch nemeses (well, one at least) and had some experiences that couldn't be duplicated under any circumstances.

Now, being here, I see how some of those less-happy chains of events have helped make me more capable and ready for things that lie ahead. It's a mixed bag, I guess. I think I'm seeing now that maybe some of those trials were not things that I was supposed to learn from at the time I was experiencing them, but instead that I would be able to look back on and say, "Oh, so THAT'S what I did wrong."

By the way, I think it's really cool that God knows me well enough to know exactly how to teach me best. And not just me: you, your best friend, the kid who hears the voice of the Lord in Obi-Wan Kenobi . . . and I'm being sincere. I remember one of my friends wrote me while on his mission about how he realized the Atonement meant not only that our Savior understands our pains and sorrows, but also our joys and passions. I know that's true, because I see how He fits my life lessons around those passions.

I'm so blessed . . .

No comments: