Monday, August 27, 2007

So far, this semester ROCKS.

Maybe I'm just in my honeymoon phase with UNT, but I'm loving it so far. A lot.

I won the spot in the UNT Baroque Orchestra, which I am really kind of giddy to begin. I get to take Baroque cello lessons! They have a ton of period instruments, and I'm just thrilled to be a part of it. It's kind of hard to believe. I didn't think they'd audition me at all, so I hadn't prepared anything to play. I found out last night that there were too many cellists vying for the same one spot, so I'd be auditioning the next day (i.e., today). So, I dusted off the first two movements of the ol' Bach Gamba Sonata (I haven't touched it since March 24) this morning and played the audish this afternoon. And now . . . I get to learn how to play the Baroque cello! I'm excited. And amused. Our rehearsals start at 4:15--I think that's really funny. Get it? Baroque Orchestra? 415?

Another amazing thing is that Edgar Meyer is coming to play with the UNT Symphony Orchestra in October. I have long idolized Edgar Meyer--I think he's one of the most talented people in music today. We're playing with him the Bottesini Concerto No. 2 and his own bass concerto. Let's just say that the very thought of being in the same room as him gets me really excited. Add to that we are playing WITH him, and playing HIS work. I just hope I can watch him from wherever it is that I'm sitting (which, by the way, I will find out tomorrow).

Seriously, I'm really excited about this year.

No comments: