Sunday, July 22, 2007

Dear Yous

Dear You:

You are one of three people in the world in whom I hold complete confidence. I'm so glad we've been friends for so long, even if it started out with you throwing things at me. You're such a strong human being and I love that about you. I know it's been a rough couple of years for you (made harder by the fact that you're away from home and family), but I love seeing you grow from those experiences and become an even greater person than you already are. You can always make me smile and laugh, and you're always there for me when I cry (even if you make fun of me for it) . . . and I couldn't ask for a better friend than you. I love you, and I hope I can be there for you like you've been there for me.

Love,
Me



Dear You:

Come on, you HAVE to know that I like you. I mean, I'm sure a guy like you has plenty of experience with interested young ladies, and figuring out who exactly those may be. I think you may be vaguely interested in me, too, but I can't really tell if it's interest or just your general niceness--I always have that problem with really nice guys. Anyway, I think you're really handsome (I know you at least know that, since I told you point-blank), and basically an all-around good guy. Maybe you're out of my league, but I've always been an optimist.

Love,
Me



Dear You:

I can't believe you're getting married!! They grow up so quick. I'm glad to have had the chance to get to know you--it has always been fun to have someone who understands the way I think! It's been fun to have you in the room down the hall, across the breezeway, or halfway around the block, and randomly popping in unannounced. I love your randomness, I love your smile, I love your brain, I love your sock and sneaker collections, I love Sven, and I LOVE YOU. I wish you and your Canadian a lovely life together, and I look forward to hearing all about it!

Miss you,
Me



Dear You:

I don't think you read this, but oh well . . .
I'm so glad we were thrown together our freshman year. I've learned a lot from you and I've loved our late-night talks and 20th century compositions and all the good times. Thanks for always being on my side. Thanks for your patience with me. Thanks for letting me borrow your car, even if I almost break the door with my negligence. Thanks for being my friend and ally, thanks for listening to me, thanks for being all the wonderful and beautiful things you are. I love you.

Love,
Me



Dear You and You and You:

You did like me, right? At least for a minute? For that time we talked in the hallway for 45 minutes, or the drive to Mt. Pleasant, or playing in the snow, respectively? If I did something to screw it up, I'd like to know, because obviously I haven't figured it out in at least three tries. I don't want you to think I'm still hung up on You(s), because I'm not. I wonder a little bit what might have been if I'd done something differently, but I'm happy for You(s) and for the way things have worked out for You(s) and Her(s), even if I had to learn about it in a way other than straight from You. I think You are all pretty neat guys, so thanks anyway for being You(s).

With complacency,
Me



Dear You:

You make me just about as uncomfortable as I have ever been in my life. It's more than just awkwardness (heaven knows I've dealt with enough awkwardness to make myself immune to it): it's Extreme Awkwardness intricately interwoven with hormones, teen angst, and foul language (and, when occasion permits, alcohol). The thing is, I actually think you're a pretty sweet guy underneath it all, I just wish that the gentleman inside of you would come closer to the surface and beat up the creep that seems to be running you right now. You'll grow out of it, I think.

Love,
Me

p.s. I'm too old for you anyway.



Dear You:

I'll probably never see you again, but I think you're the sweetest guy I've ever met. My crush on you surprised even myself, and it drove me crazy because I knew I couldn't ever act on it. I know it sounds corny, but on the rare occasions that our hands would touch, or sometimes when you would just look at me with those adorable eyes, my heart would be fluttering all over the place. I feel like there isn't a mean, dirty, or impure bone in your body--you just exude goodness. I hope things work out for you, and that you find some amazing, bright, beautiful woman to marry (when you get back). And hey, if it takes a while longer, look me up. I'd jump on that.

Love,
Me



More "Dear Yous" to come? We'll see.

No comments: