Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Welcome to 2008

It's still hard to believe that it's a new year. I spent the holidays in Honolulu with my mom's family, which was delightful (although, I could think of one thing that would have greatly improved the trip . . . and I saw him yesterday).

My grandparents are pretty awesome people. They've slowed down a lot since the last time I saw them, but they are still kickin'. For some reason, although this has been the first time that we stayed at their house without them having been there (they've moved to an assisted living home), I feel as though I bonded more thoroughly with them this time around. They're very sweet, and I love to see that they still love each other. It was so sweet to see my grandpa shuffling around saying, "Where's my girl??" or to see them holding hands . . . I want that someday.

I don't want it to be the start of the new semester just yet. I suppose it's not so bad. I do enjoy immensely the extra time I get with The Boy during vacation, but it's okay that life isn't all fun and games. It just makes these times all the more precious.

Actually, that's something that's been playing on my mind a lot lately. Part of it may be that I just read Tuesdays with Morrie, which discusses this pretty heavily, but part of it, too, was simply being in beautiful Hawaii and enjoying being alive. You can't help but feel alive as the sea breeze caresses your face, as you hear the sound of the surf, as you listen to the sounds of the birds and smell the plumeria . . . as you surround yourself with family. That is what it means to be alive.

So I'm blessed, and I'm grateful to be alive.

No comments: