Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflections and Projections

Sometimes, you look at your life and wonder: "How on earth did I get to where I am?"

Now would be one of those times for me.

It was interesting, at the end of 2007, to recall where I had been at the end of 2006. I would say that was a low point in my life. I had just failed my pre-recital hearing for my senior recital, I was having a really hard time with my private teacher, I was generally feeling awful about myself (even more than I usually do), and I had no idea what the future would look like for me. I didn't know if I wanted to go to graduate school or take a year off to work or what--I was completely overwhelmed and unhappy with pretty much everything in my life.

A year later, the end of 2007 had found me back in D-town, in the Master's program with a professor whom I love, feeling better about myself and my work than I have in a long time, and not least of all in a wonderful relationship with the boy that I could never imagine but always dreamed of.

It fascinates me that so much has turned around for me in a year. So, I look to 2008 with excitement. I again have no idea where this year will take me. There are a lot of possibilities, opportunities, blessings, challenges, trials, joys, sorrows, surprises . . . I guess the funny thing about life is that, for all our attempts at planning everything out so carefully, you can never really predict what happens.

No comments: