Sunday, March 4, 2007

All Hail the Mighty State

Texas, our Texas . . . so wonderful, so great.

I feel like the audition went pretty well. There were a few weird spots, but that's to be expected in any audition situation. Nothing fatal, I don't think. Now, we just wait . . .

The more time I spend away from Denton, the better it looks when I get back to it. The prospect of returning more permanently has me excited. I used to think that there was nothing to do in Denton--then I came to Utah. (I suppose, too, that there is much more to do in Little D for a college student than for a high school student.) I never really appreciated the wealth of artistic experiences in Dallas until I came to the artistic desert that is the greater Salt Lake area. I love the downtown Arts District: the Meyerson Symphony Center (WAY better than Abravanel Hall), the Dallas Museum of Art, the Trammel Crowe Museum of Asian Art, the Nasher Sculpture Museum . . . and then there's the live music scene!

All kinds of music. In Denton alone, there are so many live music venues that I can't even list them, from bars to coffee shops to pizza joints to outdoor stages . . . Not to mention UNT's beautiful concert hall. The best part about is that stuff is ALWAYS happening! Chamber music, rock bands . . . and oh! the JAZZ! There are so many more opportunities to be involved in all sorts of things at UNT than here at BYU--they have a full-fledged Early Music ensemble, a jazz stings program, and let's not even start talking about how excited I am at the possibility of studying with a teacher who actually likes me instead of hating me. Good heavens.

It's a bittersweet feeling I have, though. Taking this audition has made me realize that I'm really in the business of moving on. I'm going to be leaving this place (okay, so that's the sweet part), and the people that I am so fortunate to call my friends (bitter). Everyone keeps saying, "No, Rachel, you can't graduate!" and it makes me sad, because I know they may be sad about the idea, and for a few weeks at the beginning of next year, they may say to each other, "I miss Rachel," but then they'll move on, and I'll just be another forgotten friend, so many miles away.

Maybe you'll think of me when I leave. At least nowadays there's facebook.