Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Looking back . . .

It's been delightful to visit with friends and loved ones in this, the locale of my undergraduate career, for these past two days. It's been delightful to catch up on the gossip in the School of Music, to make up for all the Girl Talk I've missed, and just to be around so many people I love so dearly. I've been pretty surprised, actually, at how wonderful my reception has been--I sort of thought that people had forgotten about me and I had faded from the consciousness of the population. I was shocked to discover that people to whom I introduced myself would say, "Oh, I know who you are. Everybody talks about you ALL THE TIME."

I knew that I missed everyone here, but I guess I didn't realize how much until I came and saw everyone. In a way, it's very much like I never left. At the same time, I feel a certain sense of disconnectedness--I am no longer a part of this community.

Part of the strangeness comes from the fact that I feel myself in somewhat of a time warp. I keep seeing people and thinking they look like someone I know, and then I have to quickly evaluate whether it's feasible for them to be in this particular location at this time. We do that all the time anyway, but usually it's easier. You have a pretty good handle on people that you regularly, and if it looks like someone you know from some other stage in your life, odds are it's actually not. Here, though, I do see people from my "former" life, and it's weird.

The long and short of it is that I love everyone, and I'm glad I've gotten to visit.

No comments: